Skip to main content

"I Refuse to Falter." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Rainbow

Rainbow, 1999

In 1999, Mariah Carey released her seventh studio album, Rainbow. This album served as a new chapter for Carey, one that seek to shed the skin of her past and brings her to the rainbow's end of the happier side of life.

While not necessarily out of the ordinary (her 'ordinary' is extraordinary for common people), it certainly contains some of her most exciting music up to that point in time. Her ballads and bops have gotten so evolved that even her most grumpy naysayer would probably be in awe at the sheer musicality being displayed here.

Songs such as "Heartbreaker" and "How Much" packed a center sweet quality like a hard candy which leaves listeners craving for more. Ballads like "Can't Take That Away" and "After Tonight" are worthy addition to her canon, while "Bliss" in all of its whistle-notes-soaked glory is probably her best use of the vocal register ever. The writing is playful at times, notably on the remix of "Heartbreaker" with features of Da Brat and Missy Elliott. There's also the continuation of personal subject matter such as childhood trauma and a woman's struggle in a post divorce reality on the "Petals" and "Rainbow (Interlude)" combo.

Altogether, this album served as a well rounded reminder of who Carey was throughout the 90s and solidified her as the Artist of the Decade despite other successful musicians within the same decade. It was so nice, until it turned for the worst. Next, Glitter.

Love, Daud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hold On to the Memories" — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Music Box

Music Box, 1993 We've come to this moment. A moment to wish for a dream lover to come and save us, to cherish our heroes if we can find them within us, and to be immersed in, strangely, sorrow. Opening song, "Dreamlover," is a lovely lowkey dance number with lyrics that are far fluffier than anything Carey has ever written up to that point. Her songwriting has grown to be softer and milder. Lines like "I want a lover who knows me, who understands how I'm feeling inside" and "baby, come on, take me away" come off as a bit surprising from the same woman who has delivered biting lyrics with the likes of "Someday," "Prisoner," and "You're So Cold." The next song, "Hero," is a ballad about self-esteem. You heard it right. The composition is very ordinary but manages to be effective in conveying the message. At one point, you can literally hear the sky turns bright after a cold dark night. Her voice also goes a...

"If I Could Recapture..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: The Debut

Recently, I've had an epiphany. A revelation. A vision...of reviewing music of the one and only, Mariah Carey. So, let's go back to the first time you and I have ever heard about her. Mariah Carey, 1990 The album starts with a soul ballad titled "Vision of Love." It's a prayer, at least from how I perceived it. The lyrics read like a series of incantation of thanks and glories to God. Interestingly, the songwriting seems to put a heavy emphasis on the "I" figure; I had a vision of love, I realized a dream, I visualized the love that came to be, etc. Mariah's lyrical works would become more and more intricate in coming years, however, it's fascinating to see how direct the diction chosen for this song and so many other songs on this album. Next, we continue to "There's Got to Be a Way," which is a song about social movement. Or, perhaps, the plea to enact one. One of the things that makes me feel enamored by the songstress' works...

X-Men: The Movie

An Imagining (Credit: Jim Lee) I know. What the hell is this, right? Well, I woke up today and decided that I want to make a brief general summary of an X-Men story that I've been cooking up for a while. It would begin with a scene where one of our protagonists, Jean Grey a.k.a. Marvel Girl, arrives at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester County, New York. This however is not a story of a teenage Grey arriving at the school for the first time. It's just a callback to that; she's an adult now. She goes back to the school to visit her old professor, Charles Francis Xavier a.k.a. Professor X, because why not reunion? Anyway, Grey would meet the other previous students of the school. In order of appearance: Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast who would answer the door for her, Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops who's currently in a heated debate with Warren Kenneth Worthington III a.k.a. Angel, and Robert "Bobby" Drake a.k.a. Iceman who jus...