Skip to main content

"For You Have Become a..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Butterfly

Butterfly, 1997

Mariah Carey's sixth studio album titled Butterfly arrived 7 years after her debut. For us, it might have been yet another album from her. However, for Carey herself, it was a new beginning. 

Butterfly is the first album where Carey's influences accumulated and melted together, resulting in an album that's so diverse. There's something else, though. Carey's own influence, something that could only be formed once you're on your eighth year of making music, is in full bloom here. Be it the lead single and first track, "Honey," or the jam-packed banger "Breakdown" with Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Carey's never seemed so sure of her own musical and physical identity than on this album.

The album cover represents the confidence as well; no longer was she hidden behind sepia or grayscale filter, or her photography limits itself to just above her neck. Carey's physical beauty is on display, perfectly so like a spring goddess or a '90s supermodel. The ballads are still present, however there's plenty of sparseness in the arrangements compared to her previous ones. Her singing has also gotten so good, not that she never was, but the way she carries so many melodies here is so magical. 

The title track is a thing of beauty that might as well be my favorite song of hers. A power ballad that manages to teeter a kind of delicate balance of the singing with the songwriting. Never has Carey's writing been this affective and, dare I say, soulful. Other ballads like the hip-hop influenced "The Roof," melodic "Fourth of July," torchy "Whenever You Call" and gospel-y "Outside" packed similar touch as well. "Babydoll" is sexy. The kind of R&B jam you might think Carey would be too modest to make, yet here it is in all of its Missy Elliott co-penned glory.

Another sexy moment is the house (!) remix of the title track, dubbed "Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)," where Carey's voice soars through, around, above, under and beyond the beats. Honestly, it's almost obscene to hear her whistle notes sprinkled in the background of that song. Low point is the Prince cover, "The Beautiful Ones." No, she didn't sing badly. Far from that, actually. However, and I know she herself would agree about this, you really can't do justice to a Prince original. Nobody ever does. Ok, maybe Chaka Khan did, but still! 

At this point, Carey's career had reached its peak performance. This was the last time where she'd continue the trend of having a number 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart until a certain, ahem, emancipation much later in the mid aughts. On this album, she showed both her casual listeners and Lambs (her devoted fanbase) just what kind of a musician she was; confidently above most of her peers. We'll see more of this butterfly flying in the future, including the unfortunate moment where she lost her buoyancy and landed with not just a thud, but a giant-sized tragedy (!!) which almost ended her, well, everything.

Love, Daud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hold On to the Memories" — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Music Box

Music Box, 1993 We've come to this moment. A moment to wish for a dream lover to come and save us, to cherish our heroes if we can find them within us, and to be immersed in, strangely, sorrow. Opening song, "Dreamlover," is a lovely lowkey dance number with lyrics that are far fluffier than anything Carey has ever written up to that point. Her songwriting has grown to be softer and milder. Lines like "I want a lover who knows me, who understands how I'm feeling inside" and "baby, come on, take me away" come off as a bit surprising from the same woman who has delivered biting lyrics with the likes of "Someday," "Prisoner," and "You're So Cold." The next song, "Hero," is a ballad about self-esteem. You heard it right. The composition is very ordinary but manages to be effective in conveying the message. At one point, you can literally hear the sky turns bright after a cold dark night. Her voice also goes a...

"If I Could Recapture..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: The Debut

Recently, I've had an epiphany. A revelation. A vision...of reviewing music of the one and only, Mariah Carey. So, let's go back to the first time you and I have ever heard about her. Mariah Carey, 1990 The album starts with a soul ballad titled "Vision of Love." It's a prayer, at least from how I perceived it. The lyrics read like a series of incantation of thanks and glories to God. Interestingly, the songwriting seems to put a heavy emphasis on the "I" figure; I had a vision of love, I realized a dream, I visualized the love that came to be, etc. Mariah's lyrical works would become more and more intricate in coming years, however, it's fascinating to see how direct the diction chosen for this song and so many other songs on this album. Next, we continue to "There's Got to Be a Way," which is a song about social movement. Or, perhaps, the plea to enact one. One of the things that makes me feel enamored by the songstress' works...

X-Men: The Movie

An Imagining (Credit: Jim Lee) I know. What the hell is this, right? Well, I woke up today and decided that I want to make a brief general summary of an X-Men story that I've been cooking up for a while. It would begin with a scene where one of our protagonists, Jean Grey a.k.a. Marvel Girl, arrives at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester County, New York. This however is not a story of a teenage Grey arriving at the school for the first time. It's just a callback to that; she's an adult now. She goes back to the school to visit her old professor, Charles Francis Xavier a.k.a. Professor X, because why not reunion? Anyway, Grey would meet the other previous students of the school. In order of appearance: Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast who would answer the door for her, Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops who's currently in a heated debate with Warren Kenneth Worthington III a.k.a. Angel, and Robert "Bobby" Drake a.k.a. Iceman who jus...