Skip to main content

Diary of D #4: Habit and Its Meaning

Rumination

Many times I've found myself asking about the relevance of my recent activities as someone who's unemployed and also in need of new sensations just to make my life seems filled with, at least, something rather than nothing. I began to observe my own behavior and perhaps, even, habit that I kept on doing on daily basis. Almost appears as a cycle, my constant need to surf the web/internet to take a look at certain things such as popular music and popular culture, movies, comic books specifically the X-Men, and basic graphic design on a site like Photoroom.

I've been trying to find new jobs for me and that hasn't been fruitful. I find myself leaning towards the tendency to compensate my lack of activities, courtesy of not having a job, with mundane tasks that are available as long as my internet data plan is enough to do so. As a portion of my life is dedicated to spend time on the worldwide web, the other portion goes into doing even more ordinary things at home that are admittedly my responsibility as someone who lives in his parents' house.

However, the more I think about my life the more often I also think about what possibly can be done or can change it. Comfort is bliss after all, but after a while lot of truthfully nothing I crave for more. Then, comes the expectations from the family. I've had enough of opinions as shared by my parents and relatives who I'm certain anybody would be grateful to hear, given that having a family and relatives can even be considered to be luxury in today's age, however it's not the things that would help me. I realized that living up to expectations of others was out of the window since a long while ago so what to do now.

This brings me to here. Present time, where I still have not an idea of my presence let alone my future. Not in the slightest have I ever felt convinced that something or anything can ever turn for the better. Perhaps, though, that amidst of all these storms in my mind there's still this habit of mine that I can still do. Is this a search for validation from myself for the mundaneness of my daily activities this far? Maybe so, then again miracles don't ever happen so often, though it does happen. Sometimes. I do believe.

Love, Daud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hold On to the Memories" — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Music Box

Music Box, 1993 We've come to this moment. A moment to wish for a dream lover to come and save us, to cherish our heroes if we can find them within us, and to be immersed in, strangely, sorrow. Opening song, "Dreamlover," is a lovely lowkey dance number with lyrics that are far fluffier than anything Carey has ever written up to that point. Her songwriting has grown to be softer and milder. Lines like "I want a lover who knows me, who understands how I'm feeling inside" and "baby, come on, take me away" come off as a bit surprising from the same woman who has delivered biting lyrics with the likes of "Someday," "Prisoner," and "You're So Cold." The next song, "Hero," is a ballad about self-esteem. You heard it right. The composition is very ordinary but manages to be effective in conveying the message. At one point, you can literally hear the sky turns bright after a cold dark night. Her voice also goes a...

"If I Could Recapture..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: The Debut

Recently, I've had an epiphany. A revelation. A vision...of reviewing music of the one and only, Mariah Carey. So, let's go back to the first time you and I have ever heard about her. Mariah Carey, 1990 The album starts with a soul ballad titled "Vision of Love." It's a prayer, at least from how I perceived it. The lyrics read like a series of incantation of thanks and glories to God. Interestingly, the songwriting seems to put a heavy emphasis on the "I" figure; I had a vision of love, I realized a dream, I visualized the love that came to be, etc. Mariah's lyrical works would become more and more intricate in coming years, however, it's fascinating to see how direct the diction chosen for this song and so many other songs on this album. Next, we continue to "There's Got to Be a Way," which is a song about social movement. Or, perhaps, the plea to enact one. One of the things that makes me feel enamored by the songstress' works...

X-Men: The Movie

An Imagining (Credit: Jim Lee) I know. What the hell is this, right? Well, I woke up today and decided that I want to make a brief general summary of an X-Men story that I've been cooking up for a while. It would begin with a scene where one of our protagonists, Jean Grey a.k.a. Marvel Girl, arrives at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester County, New York. This however is not a story of a teenage Grey arriving at the school for the first time. It's just a callback to that; she's an adult now. She goes back to the school to visit her old professor, Charles Francis Xavier a.k.a. Professor X, because why not reunion? Anyway, Grey would meet the other previous students of the school. In order of appearance: Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast who would answer the door for her, Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops who's currently in a heated debate with Warren Kenneth Worthington III a.k.a. Angel, and Robert "Bobby" Drake a.k.a. Iceman who jus...