Skip to main content

A Song? Could Be.

I wrote these sentences on May 21st at 13:39 on my paper diary. It's a song—or at least supposed to be one—called "Under the Skyline".

If all of the things I've said would not bring me closer to heaven,

If all of the things I've ever done would only bring me blues.

Will I ever get to break through?

Will I ever succeed or will I fail?


The things that I've once believed have never been able to tame me

And everything I've once held dear has only made me fool.

Would you care enough to guide me

Through my forsaken faith and bated breath?


'Cuz under the skyline, there's so much I knew I had to do,

I know for sure, my whole life

Have been searching for some kind of answer

That I've tried to find but never did.


How will I know if there's ever gon' be tomorrow?

How can I trust my faith when I'm already losing hope?

And how will I learn not to cling onto hope

If it only gon' bring me great sorrow?

I don't know. Will I ever get to make a song with these words one day? I hope so. However, under the skyline perhaps there are things meant to become true and those that are meant to remain undiscovered. Hidden or...something, I guess. Well, whatever. It's gon' be alright.

At least, I hope so.

D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hold On to the Memories" — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Music Box

Music Box, 1993 We've come to this moment. A moment to wish for a dream lover to come and save us, to cherish our heroes if we can find them within us, and to be immersed in, strangely, sorrow. Opening song, "Dreamlover," is a lovely lowkey dance number with lyrics that are far fluffier than anything Carey has ever written up to that point. Her songwriting has grown to be softer and milder. Lines like "I want a lover who knows me, who understands how I'm feeling inside" and "baby, come on, take me away" come off as a bit surprising from the same woman who has delivered biting lyrics with the likes of "Someday," "Prisoner," and "You're So Cold." The next song, "Hero," is a ballad about self-esteem. You heard it right. The composition is very ordinary but manages to be effective in conveying the message. At one point, you can literally hear the sky turns bright after a cold dark night. Her voice also goes a...

"If I Could Recapture..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: The Debut

Recently, I've had an epiphany. A revelation. A vision...of reviewing music of the one and only, Mariah Carey. So, let's go back to the first time you and I have ever heard about her. Mariah Carey, 1990 The album starts with a soul ballad titled "Vision of Love." It's a prayer, at least from how I perceived it. The lyrics read like a series of incantation of thanks and glories to God. Interestingly, the songwriting seems to put a heavy emphasis on the "I" figure; I had a vision of love, I realized a dream, I visualized the love that came to be, etc. Mariah's lyrical works would become more and more intricate in coming years, however, it's fascinating to see how direct the diction chosen for this song and so many other songs on this album. Next, we continue to "There's Got to Be a Way," which is a song about social movement. Or, perhaps, the plea to enact one. One of the things that makes me feel enamored by the songstress' works...

X-Men: The Movie

An Imagining (Credit: Jim Lee) I know. What the hell is this, right? Well, I woke up today and decided that I want to make a brief general summary of an X-Men story that I've been cooking up for a while. It would begin with a scene where one of our protagonists, Jean Grey a.k.a. Marvel Girl, arrives at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester County, New York. This however is not a story of a teenage Grey arriving at the school for the first time. It's just a callback to that; she's an adult now. She goes back to the school to visit her old professor, Charles Francis Xavier a.k.a. Professor X, because why not reunion? Anyway, Grey would meet the other previous students of the school. In order of appearance: Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast who would answer the door for her, Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops who's currently in a heated debate with Warren Kenneth Worthington III a.k.a. Angel, and Robert "Bobby" Drake a.k.a. Iceman who jus...