Skip to main content

Diary of D #3: Being a Christian is...

Fascinating

No, really. I am Christian. Not my name, of course, but my faith. However, it's also notable that the faith/religion is deep rooted in Hebrew Judaism rather than appearing out of nowhere. I mean, wasn't Jesus Christ a man from Israel? As an Indonesian who gets to be a Christian, it's been sorta strange. After all, Indonesia itself has plenty of indigenous faith native to the territory. But those beliefs would just be classified as paganism, wouldn't they?

Filtered through the lens of Westernism, such as European or American approach (or both!), the experience of the Christians vary from one place to another. For this Christian, however, it really is peculiar. Knowing Indonesian relations with Israel, and Palestine, plus an awareness of how much of my life is dictated by this admittedly foreign yet not exactly pagan faith while at the same time something more native to my homeland should just be labeled as plain archaic belief...yeah. It's bad. But, hey, it's livable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"If I Could Recapture..." — A Mariah Carey Review Series: The Debut

Recently, I've had an epiphany. A revelation. A vision...of reviewing music of the one and only, Mariah Carey. So, let's go back to the first time you and I have ever heard about her. Mariah Carey, 1990 The album starts with a soul ballad titled "Vision of Love." It's a prayer, at least from how I perceived it. The lyrics read like a series of incantation of thanks and glories to God. Interestingly, the songwriting seems to put a heavy emphasis on the "I" figure; I had a vision of love, I realized a dream, I visualized the love that came to be, etc. Mariah's lyrical works would become more and more intricate in coming years, however, it's fascinating to see how direct the diction chosen for this song and so many other songs on this album. Next, we continue to "There's Got to Be a Way," which is a song about social movement. Or, perhaps, the plea to enact one. One of the things that makes me feel enamored by the songstress' works...

X-Men: The Movie

An Imagining (Credit: Jim Lee) I know. What the hell is this, right? Well, I woke up today and decided that I want to make a brief general summary of an X-Men story that I've been cooking up for a while. It would begin with a scene where one of our protagonists, Jean Grey a.k.a. Marvel Girl, arrives at the Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester County, New York. This however is not a story of a teenage Grey arriving at the school for the first time. It's just a callback to that; she's an adult now. She goes back to the school to visit her old professor, Charles Francis Xavier a.k.a. Professor X, because why not reunion? Anyway, Grey would meet the other previous students of the school. In order of appearance: Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast who would answer the door for her, Scott Summers a.k.a. Cyclops who's currently in a heated debate with Warren Kenneth Worthington III a.k.a. Angel, and Robert "Bobby" Drake a.k.a. Iceman who jus...

"Remembering When You Were Mine" — A Mariah Carey Review Series: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, 1994 Carey's fourth studio album, released only a year after her biggest album Music Box , is a Christmas-themed album titled, well, Merry Christmas . The album is filled with classic Christmas carols and ballads, with three additional original songs completing the collection. Let's take a look. It starts with a serene take on "Silent Night," a song about the nativity story. Carey's take builds the song around the atmospheric soundscape from the production. It truly sounds as if you're listening to a biblical narrator singing about the story in the barn where Jesus Christ was born. Talk about a journey to the past. The album then continues to the next song, "All I Want for Christmas Is You." The first original composition here, this is a song that I believe so many people have already known even from the title alone. One of the most famous songs on Earth, and I can hear why. Cheerful production amidst an even more cheerful singing de...